Hello Potterheads! It is currently 12:14 am on November 18th as I am writing this and I just got home from seeing Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them about half an hour ago. I have many many MANY thoughts about this movie and since this is my first movie review, I will be doing it the same way as I do my book reviews. There will be a spoiler free section first, followed by a clearly marked spoilery section after that. I will be writing this over the next day or since I will need sleep at some point, hopefully my thoughts will clear up and I wont be such a blubbering mess by the end of this review.
I am going to start out this review saying that I am about this close to saying that this will be a better film series than Potter. I know, I know, that’s saying a lot but once you see it you’ll most likely be with me on this. One thing that sets this movie apart is that it was written as a screenplay rather than a book being adapted. We always find things wrong with book to movie adaptations, no matter how small it is. All we had to go off of for Fantastic Beasts was a tiny little textbook we learned about in Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban. But that tiny little textbook has blown up into one of the best films I have honestly ever seen that has so much potential to be just as major as Harry Potter himself.
I fell in love with every character in this film, good or bad they were all amazing. Eddie Redmayne really made Newt all his own and I don’t think I will ever see him as anyone other than Newt Scamander. He is just the sweetest little cinnamon roll there is and really the entire cast of characters are just teeth rottingly sweet. I am just deeply in love with Newt honestly. Jacob is another one of those characters that you just can’t not love. He gets the opportunity we’ve all wanted to be shown this amazing and magical world full of spells and creatures you’ve never dreamed of. Okay I don’t want to say anything more about characters just to be safe but seriously, even if you aren’t a Harry Potter fan (I don’t know why you’d be reading this) you would still love this movie. There are a lot of topics that were never addressed in the original HP films and just seeing the Wizarding World from an adults point of view, especially someone as amazing as Newt Scamander, really opens your eyes to just how complex and vast J.K. Rowling world is.
OH. MY. GOD. This movie is pure gold. Okay first lets talk about the characters because this was the best cast of characters I’ve seen in a movie since Potter. Talk about #SquadGoals am I right?!? Newt Scamander, oh my baby cinnamon roll how I love him. You can totally tell he’s a Hufflepuff throughout the whole thing, how innocent and adorable he is I just wanted to jump into the screen and hug him to death. Queenie was another one of my favorite characters mostly because of how flirty she was and knowing exactly how to use it. I loved the part when she was getting Newt’s case back and that guy stops her, she’s just totally open about showing him her “lady things” that was so cute and clever. Okay Jacob Kowalski oh Jacob how precious. He was by far one of the best characters ever, I loved that he acted just how any of us no-maj’s would in the case of having a strange man throw us into a world of magic and unknown creatures. All those moments when he was so surprised or overwhelmed and did that little laugh/scream thing made me laugh obnoxiously loud. I want to say he was the comic release but really everyone had their many funny moments throughout the movie and had me almost falling out of my seat.
Let’s talk about the creatures next. Okay so from the trailers I thought that all of the creatures in Newt’s case escaped but now that I saw the movie and how many he actually does have in there, I’m glad that wasn’t the case. It would have taken the Five movies just to find all the beasts. Firstly, we all agree that the Niffler was so adorable I mean just look at it again.
You just can’t hate it!! I can’t wait for plushies to come out so I can have my own little Niffler. Another beast I was so happy to see in the trailers was the Thunderbird, we learn in the movie that the reason Newt really went to America was the bring Frank the Thunderbird home to Arizona. This just adds to Newt being the sweetest little cinnamon roll ever. Anyway, as a proud Thunderbird myself, I was so excited to see it come to life on the big screen and hopefully we get to see the other Ilvermorny house mascots in future movies. The Demiguise was a really interesting creature too, it really looked like a very shaggy monkey/sloth and it was so cute. I just loved all the creatures in this movie, Pickett, the goblins, and even the house elves.
The last thing I want to talk about in this review is just general thoughts and favorite scenes that I will list right here;
- The President of MACUSA is a woman. This isn’t new news but I still thought that was a great decision to have so many strong women playing huge parts in this story.
- Every scene with Queenie and Jacob. You have to admit that all of these moments were just so cute and heartwarming, especially when she’s talking about there’s no one else like him and I just really hope he comes back and they get together.
- Hogwarts vs. Ilvermorny. That little moment with Queenie and Newt when she’s all saying how Ilvermorny is the best wizarding school in the world and Newt just buds in like actually, Hogwarts is awesome. That was cute.
- Lita Lestrange. So I’m going to assume that Newt and Lita had a little fling or almost fling going on during his Hogwarts days but how cool was it to hear the name Lestrange?? A Lestrange with a Hufflepuff! I do hope we meet her at some point in the series.
- Ezra Miller. He is such a good actor and after seeing him in The Perks of Being a Wallflower I fell in love with his acting. He did so well in this movie but I’m honestly really sad his character won’t be in the next ones.
- The one thing I didn’t like. Okay I didn’t think I was going to have any problem with Johnny Depp being cast as Grindlewald but I did. I don’t know exactly why but he is such a known actor and I was talking to my boyfriend about this, I want to be completely immersed in this story without being distracted by an actor and their prior characters. I just feel like I’ll be so distracted seeing him as the Madd Hatter or Edward Scissorhands and not be able to focus on him being Grindlewald.
- All the times I cried. I think I cried about four times, of course once during the WB logo in the sky because who didn’t. Two, when Graves takes the case and Newt goes frantic begging them not to hurt his creatures, yup cried like a baby. Three, Newt handing Pickett to the mobster goblin. Four, the end when Jacob’s memory was wiped and everyone was emotional and you could just hear everyone’s heart breaking in the theater.
Well I think that’s all I have to say about this movie. I’m actually probably forgetting a ton but everything was just amazing!! Sorry if I was just all over the place in this review, like I said, I loved this movie so so so so so so much and I can’t wait for the next four movies!!!